Thursday, January 9, 2014

Blocks, Baby Dolls and The Eucharist

If I had to choose three words that would sum up my life they would be: Blocks, Dolls, Eucharist.

I'm a 30 year old, stay-at-home mother of three: Two block building, game loving, sports playing boys and one pink dress wearing, baby doll playing, twirl around in my new shoes little girl. I am a practicing Catholic (and we're not talking about Nancy Pelosi Catholicism here folks).

I've loved to write my entire life. I enjoy the freedom. I enjoy giving my mind and soul to a blank sheet of paper. A paper that won't judge what's written on it or condemn the author for thinking or feeling one way or another. This passion for writing, and the love affair I have with a non-judgmental blank sheet of paper is what has kept me toying with the idea of creating a blog for some time. On one hand I'd be writing for the world to see, on the other hand, I'd be writing for the world to see. Judgement and cyber bullying would have their free shot at me. And I'd be signing up to let it all happen.

I have struggled for a long time wanting to say so much and filtering it because every time I say how I really feel about something it seems someone gets offended. Someone has to immediately argue why their point of view is better than mine. Someone gets their damn panties in a wad over something I share or state my opinion on. For years I kept a family blog sharing the joys of raising my little family, and even then I'd have this innate ability to hurt someone's feelings if I shared too much or too little. Or the times I'd post something political or spiritual that someone had a differing opinion from. I've filtered too much, and it's time that I live in the Real World  "where I stop being polite and start getting real". (To quote that once ground breaking reality show I watched in my teens on MTV.)

This morning I read a blog that said so much of what I had thought, had been thinking, and been feeling. I read it and thought, "I could have written that." Then it hit me, 'Why didn't I write that?!" So I decided to stop toying with the idea of blogging and just do it. Do it boldly, whole heartedly, and un-apologetically.

Mind made up to start writing again, I sat down and pulled my laptop out. About the time I powered it on I heard a crash of legos being dumped out of their bin and onto the playroom floor by my preschooler. As I turned to get out of my chair and assess the damage I saw my daughter sucking her thumb, dragging her baby doll and blanket through the living room to come sit by me. I sat back down at the desk that held my laptop, a crumpled up tissue, my Catholic Bible and an Advent devotional that was still out laying open- nevermind that the Epiphany was several days ago.

That brings me to those three words from above. You see, in that moment this blog had a name. I was taking in three things so unrelated and yet so defining in who and where I am in this world. Not only do they define where I am in this world, they define where I WANT to be in this world. They are the joys of my life. Anything that fills my children with joy is an extension of my joy. My Catholic Bible, devotionals, rosary, the Eucharist. They are the joys of my present and the joys of what is to come.

This blog is a somewhat new adventure for me. One that is sure to be full of so much that is unknown, and so much that is: Blocks. Babies. The Eucharist.

No comments:

Post a Comment