Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Time with My Bestie

Wednesdays have become my favorite day of the week. It's a day where I get a mostly uninterrupted date with my BFF.

I started visiting my friend in Adoration at our church a few years sporadically. If I got to the school REALLY early for pick-up. If our women's group had absolutely no-one else who could fill our obligation. It was quiet. Too quiet. I could hear myself think, and every other pin drop sound in that chapel. I was restless and felt uncomfortable and awkward. I'd try to pray and find my mind wandering to all sorts of less than holy places. I'd get my rosary beads out and find that it'd take me 20 minutes to pray a decade.

Over time I began attending less sporadically and out of obligation, and more for a desire for the quiet. It was no longer unnerving, as I had realized that the quiet of that little chapel didn't mean I'd discover something naughty my children had been doing. It wasn't "home" yet, and was only something I could give myself to for a 20 minute maximum before I started to feel like I needed to escape to the comfortable noise of my house.

As months passed my time spent in adoration went from a 20 minute visit once or twice a month to a 40 minute visit three times a month. Now, it's my home for at least an hour virtually every Wednesday, barring a sick child. My "me time". Just me and Jesus. Of course there are others there. Others that come and go. Some stay a brief 20 minutes like I once did. Others are there when I arrive, and remain after I leave, but I don't sense their presence. My best friend never makes me feel like He's sharing His time with anyone. It's just He and I.

What started out as stiff and awkward on my part has become the most endearing of all friendships I have. Some days we pray together. Some days He listens as my heart talks. I've cried with Him. I've laughed with Him. Some days we sit in silence together. Sometimes my mind wanders to places unrelated to my time with Him, and He never cares. He meets me right where I am, loves me for who I am, and is the most loyal and loving friend I've ever had. After years of not fitting in, and trying to have a BFF, I found one. He is always available for me to talk to, day or night. And the best part of it is that He looks forward to our dates as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment